Sunday, October 13, 2024

Grobble Up the Beasties



I had forgotten the expression “Grobble Up the Beasties” since many a year. Now, thanks to a dream I have not only recalled it from the depths of my brain but also almost to have solved it - but in dreamland.

The expression was always thought by the British to be Dutch and that it was in common use in Holland. But ask a Dutch person and they will have no idea what nonsense the silly English will believe. Even my wife, Margreet, conversant in several languages, has no idea of its meaning, thinking that it has an Afrikaans sound to it and might have something to do with insects. 

My revelationary dream was as follows: I was offered the view of an ancient map on vellum, beautifully hand-drawn, showing the coast of north east Scotland. I was delighted to find that three small fishing villages on the indented coast, and close together, were the harbours of Drobble, Oppa, and Debeesty.

Could I have solved the conundrum or part of it?

So might the phrase have referred to fishing, fish, weight of catches, or processes such as smoking? And if so, how did the expression spread through the UK and the English speaking people, thinking it to be commonly-used Dutch? 

Of course, it was all a dream, but at least I might have dreamed of the partial answer to its origins. But I somehow doubt it.

Another dream might tell me more. 

No comments: